Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Paddle Info about North Carolina

This blog is for people who want to paddle recreational kayaks in North Carolina.  I'm starting it because I, too, am a recreational paddler and I am finding good information difficult to come by.  So, this blog is dedicated to providing useful information to people who want to make a good choice in where they spend their paddle outing. It is not geared to trip reports, gear reviews, or rants about this or that.   If you're like me, you have a limited number of hours to paddle, and when those hours coincide with good weather, you want to be on the water in a good place, not on the water in a not-so-good place.

My goal is to let people in on what they can find when they show up some where, kayak in tow, ready to hit the water.  As I kayak in NC, I'll post what I find.  I do not promise to be 100% thorough for any body of water, and as time goes by, I will likely update what I have learned.

By way of credentials...I'm a seasoned travel writer and have published in various North Carolina newspapers (Raleigh News and Observer, Charlotte Observer) as well as in Our State magazine.  I have a couple of books out there talking about outdoors things to do in the Tar Heel State.  I have a good grasp of what North Carolina has to offer.

While I am an outdoors enthusiast, I am not an elite cyclist, hiker or paddler.  Yes, I know people who have hiked the major long-distance trails in the United States and I know people who have completed serious paddle trips.  (The couple who paddled the Inside Passage to Glacier Bay still amaze me with their accomplishment.)  I know a few people who have spent months on their bikes touring about the country.  But I'm not one of those people, though sometimes I wonder what it would be like to do something like that.  I'm just an ordinary outdoors enthusiast.  (And about my email name:  I got that a long time ago when I was heavily into hiking.  Since that time I have enlarged my world to include paddling.  If this blog takes off and people seem to want some hiking boots on the ground info about hiking trails, I'll provide that, too.)

So, check in from time to time to see if I've provided any information that's useful to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment